Monday 2 April 2018

Oh Dear...

Towards the end of term, my mind kept wandering to a box that had lived in the corner of my office for the last three years.  In said box were the survivors of an Eldar army that I’d bought off a mate in the late 90s. I had coveted them for a few years, since White Dwarf 127 in fact, and was finally able to secure them.  A start was made in stripping and assembling them, but I got as far as half-base coating some Rangers before giving it up as a bad job.

Skip fourteen years and I was casting around trying to find a loaner army for the school gaming club. Using a large brush, GW’s foundation paints and copious enthusiasm, I speed-painted and based approximately 1500 points worth to use at school.  They were used (and abused) for about a year before I stopped running the club due to becoming disillusioned with the then GW approach to customer retention. I took them to my office when I moved classrooms and there they sat. Unused. Unloved.

I brought the box home at the end of term and assessed what was left.  A good start for an army however over the years (before being painted for the club army) the Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders and Fire Dragons had all disappeared. It also needed the plastic lasgun Guardians replacing with something more suitable. An Easter weekend spent on eBay has secured the models necessary for just over 2000pts of infantry, predominantly Aspect Warriors.  Now I just need to wait for the postie to arrive...




8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm also excavating some hobby past, but in my case it's more like one model at a time instead of most of army in a single deal ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bite off more than I can chew on a regular basis :) Strangely enough, the friend that I’d bought the Eldar from, who’d given up playing WH40k in the 90s and had only taken up Infinity in the last two years, rang me on Easter Sunday to tell me he’d bought some Grey Knights. Both the revival of the Eldar and my friend getting back into WH40k seem to fit the Easter theme of resurrection.

      Delete
  2. Recently I also dug a box of antiques - but I was ashamed because a lot of metal models (old and pretty) went under the modeler knife ;/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a nice feeling to renew something old and unloved. The only conversion I’d done on the Eldar was to give the Scorpion exarch a power claw - I wasn’t brave enough to do any more.

      Delete
  3. Your post is very timely for me. I've started trawling through eBay recently to beef up my own Eldar collection. But my ambition is much more modest than yours: I want to make a small warband of Eldar pirates based on the original 12 sculpts. In any case, I'm glad you're giving your old army some love, and I hope it repays you with many victories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have any duplicates that you are after, you are more than welcome to them.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for the late visit, Steven. It's great to see your cherished army revisited and revitalized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That’s ok, Dean - I appreciate you taking the time to stop by and comment.

    ReplyDelete