Friday 16 March 2018

Crimson Fists

When I first started collecting miniatures, it was very much with fantasy in mind.  I had been introduced to gaming through the Talisman board game, Fighting Fantasy books and a bit later on, the D&D red box set.  When I first saw Warhammer 2nd edition, there existed the odd picture with fantasy figures firing lasers, and I instinctively recoiled because...lasers...in fantasy?  You should never cross streams.  However, when Rogue Trader was released I instantly fell in love with the cover image.  It was dark and gritty.  The good guys were losing and I loved them for it.

After I had acquired my first marines (RTB01 boxed set), I eventually painted a Tactical squad, followed by a second, then some Devastators, a couple of Dreadnoughts, some characters - you get the idea.  I played endless games against a friend’s Harlequins and I think I won two games in about 100.  This was the era of random profiles, equipment and psychic powers.  My opponent would roll for the random stuff at home before he arrived and would conveniently have the most advantageous load-outs. He steadfastly refused to re-roll them as well (the twat). This was brilliant though because it allowed me to re-enact the cover of the Rogue trader book.  I (foolishly) gave the army away in the late 90s and only have my original medic left.

When GW released the ubiquitous Tactical boxed set in 2000 (?), I set about rebuilding my army.  I didn’t really game between 2001 and 2012 so putting the army together was more of a collecting thing.  I have painted about 5000 points worth which equates to half a Battle Company and 15 armoured vehicles, with another 15 vehicles and two and a half companies of marines awaiting paint (and have been since 2014).  Sometimes I over-do things a touch.

I also made a grievous error.  I’ve always painted both fists on my ‘Fists red, not making the connection with the fact that only veterans can have two red hands.  In my WH40k universe, the Crimson Fists have two red fists because otherwise the paint scheme wouldn’t balance and I’d have an army of power armoured Michael Jacksons.

Anyway, enough waffle...

This is the first model that I’ve painted for my marines in three years and was painted in late 2017.  May I present, Pedro Kantor.






2 comments:

  1. A stunning figure, Steven. The blue is very appealing - as well the way it allows the other colors to pop. I only played 40K a couple of times, but the models are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dean. I’m afraid I’m going to be dropping lots of Crimson Fist images over the next few weeks, but then I think I’m going to catalogue my Bolt Action Americans.

      Delete